Friday, August 7, 2009

Places Where I Should Not Let Me Go

The other day while listening to one of my favorite old James Taylor CD’s, the words of the song, “Something in the Way She Moves” jumped out at me.

“Every now and then the things I lean on lose their meaning, and I find myself careening into places where I should not let me go. She has the power to go where no one else can find me, yes, and to silently remind me of the happiness and good times that I know…”

One thing about life is that it’s never easy and it’s always changing. It’s true that every now and again the things we lean on, our foundation, gets shaky or crumbles beneath us. Things that we were so sure about yesterday may not feel so certain today. People who have been there for us in the past may not be there for us anymore. In our despair it’s easy to let ourselves careen into places where we should not let ourselves go. These places are different for everyone. We each have our own individual temptations to conquer and crosses to bear. Although we should never let ourselves go these places, sometimes we do.

But like the song says, there is someone in each of our lives who has the power to help us. Someone who loves us deeply enough and knows us well enough to go where no one else would go. And lift us from the rubble we have let ourselves get into or even caused by our own actions. If we will accept their outstretched hand and lean on them, we can again find meaning in life and remember the happiness and good times we have known and eventually get out of the place where we should not have let ourselves go.

No comments:

Post a Comment