Sunday, July 22, 2012

Yesterday we took a drive up the mountain and through our old stomping grounds. We shared memories of taking our kids there when they were little. We reminisced about camping and fishing, backpacking and hunting trips, picnics and wood cutting on the mountain.
I remembered back in the day when we had a wood stove in our basement. We went on the mountain each summer to cut wood for the winter. We would cut ten cords each summer. It was a lot of work, but we sure loved doing it. We would take a picnic and have a fun day.

I can still see my little boys and girls carrying logs to load the truck. I remember thinking that it might have been easier to leave them at home and just run up and do it ourselves. But they loved it and wanted to contribute. They knew how important it was to have wood, and they wanted to help.
I realize that it might have been easier without their help, but that would have done them a disservice.

Each of these little ones learned how to work by contributing one log at a time. By working side by side with us they learned the value of work. And they felt a sense of accomplishment seeing all that wood stacked by the house and knew they had helped prepare for the winter. Now each of them have a strong work ethic and understand the value of contributing. I'm so glad I let them help when they wanted to and were willing.

I really loved my day on the mountain. I felt such gratitude for the wonderful memories of raising my kids. I have learned so much by being a mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment