Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Gift of Giving

I read a book review for a book called, "29 Gifts: How a month of giving can change your life".

Here is Amazon's description of the book:

~~~ At age thirty-five, Cami Walker was burdened by a battle with multiple sclerosis, a chronic neurological condition that made it difficult for her to walk, work, or enjoy her life. Seeking a remedy for her depression after being hospitalized, she received an uncommon prescription from an African medicine woman: Give to others for 29 days.

29 Gifts is the insightful story of the author’s life change as she embraces and reflects on the naturally reciprocal process of giving and receiving. Many of Walker’s gifts were simple —a phone call, spare change, a Kleenex. Yet the acts were transformative. By Day 29, not only had Walker’s health and happiness improved, but she had created a worldwide giving movement.

The book also includes personal essays from others whose lives changed for the better by giving, plus pages for the reader to record their own journey. More than a memoir, 29 Gifts offers inspiring lessons on how a simple daily practice of altruism can dramatically alter your outlook on the world. ~~~

I haven't actually read the book, but I decided to take the challenge. It's been a month since I started focusing on doing something nice for someone everyday. Even it's just making a phone call, sending a letter, or giving a compliment when it comes to my mind, I'm trying. It's teaching me to think of someone besides myself. I don't always succeed and often do things without really thinking about them--things that I should be doing anyway--but I'm getting better at it. And I've learned that making a face to face contact if possible makes a big difference to someone who is lonely!

Sometimes we feel like we need to give large amounts of money or time to make a difference. But often it's the SMALL things that make a BIG difference as we reach out to "The One". We all need to start somewhere! It may be letting the elderly gentlemen go before us in the grocery line, letting a car go in front of us in a line of traffic, helping someone open a door, being patient with someones screaming child, or giving a heartfelt compliment when it comes to our minds.

We often don't give ourselves credit for the good things we do. We compare ourselves to others and feel inadequate if we aren't like them. Writing down my actions and plans to serve has helped me realize that I do more good than I thought. My heart has always been in the right place, I just got distracted from what matters the most--people!

I haven't done anything big, but since I have committed to this experiment I feel really good! I've made contact with old friends, spent more time with extended family, and have become more aware of people's needs. I've been writing down my actions and it's amazing to realize that I often go beyond one deed a day without ever planning to.

Recording these things has helped me evaluate my strengths and weaknesses. I realize that I have a lot of improvement to make, but I'm on my way! I'm really comfortable serving in my extended family, but I need to have more courage to branch out to neighbors, ward members, and strangers. There are many people to serve and much good to do in the world!

One magical thing that I have noticed is that now I look forward to random acts of service and find joy in planning and carrying out deeds of kindness. Of course, my good intentions still outweigh my actions, but I'm starting to remember who I used to be and how I used to think! It feels like I have been so preoccupied and busy every minute of my day for so long that I had forgotten how to be spontaneous and thoughtful. I haven't been a horrible person, but I have been too distracted and spent too much time on things that didn't matter. This experiment has been fun and it's jump started my goal of learning to serve again.

And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. ~ Mosiah 2:17

2 comments:

  1. I love this Barb! I'm so lucky to have you in my life! Thanks a billion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. You do so many nice things for everyone. You're absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete