Sunday, February 7, 2010

An Inspirational Experience

Today at church I had an interesting experience. There is a woman who lost her daughter a few years ago in a tragic accident just as she was about to get married. Although she lives just down the road I never knew her. I remember when it happened and my heart was broken for her. I wanted so badly to just stop at her house and tell her how sad I was for her, but I just didn't dare. As a stranger I didn't want to intrude at an emotional moment and hurt her. I have even crossed paths with her in the temple and felt such empathy and sorrow for her, but noticing her sadness just never dared to speak to her.

Just recently our wards merged and now I see her at church. She looks like one of the saddest people I have ever seen. I have desperately been trying to get the courage up to approach her and tell her that I have been thinking of her for years. I have felt a great need to become her friend.

Today I was sitting behind her in Sacrament Meeting and finally decided that it was time to muster up the courage to visit her or approach her at church and tell her what that I have been feeling and to try to befriend her. All through the meeting I was deciding how best to do it.

Later at church in Relief Society meeting I looked at the calendar for the month and noticed her birthday was on it. I decided that would be a great way to break the ice and to visit her for her birthday and then I could get to know her and express my concern for her.

Relief Society was a Visiting Teacher Training and after the meeting the new booklets were handed out which outlined the new beats and companionships. When I looked at the name of my new companion it was the very woman I had been thinking of all day and for a very long time. My eyes welled up with tears. The strong prompting I had been blessed with today had been verified. I knew it was time to get acquainted with her, and the Lord has just issued the call.

I know that He knows what we need in our lives. And He knows who we need in our lives. My testimony of inspiration was strengthen today. I look so forward to getting to know her. I don't know if I have anything to offer to her, but I know I am supposed to get to know her. I am so thankful that Heavenly Father helps paves the way for us meet our worthy goals. I'm so thankful for His love!

2 comments:

  1. Barbara thank you so much for sharing. I love hearing the thoughts of your heart. I bet you are such a wonderful friend to this woman. You have so much love and testimony and fun to give. I'm so happy and blessed to know you! (I wish it could be me that gets to be with you, in person, every month!) She's a lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Amanda's Mom, Wasnt it?
    I love and miss Amanda so much.
    Her mom was so fun when we were little, and to see her like this now, breaks my heart, and I know everytime she sees me, she sees Amanda. Thank you for sharing Barb. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete