Friday, November 4, 2011

Adversity

Recently, I taught a Sunday lesson about adversity and how it can help us to grow. As I prepared and taught the lesson I thought of all the adversity I have faced in my life. I know that the Lord loves me enough to let me go through these things so I can grow. Each difficult experience has brought me closer to my Heavenly Father and one step closer to what He wants me to be.

I can honestly say that I am thankful to have learned  from the sorrows I have experienced. Eight miscarriages, many surgeries and illnesses, betrayal of those I have trusted, the loss of a child, fathers, neices, nephews, and several close friends, have all taught me important lessons.

"...how can you and I really expect to glide naively through life, as if to say, “Lord, give me experience, but not grief, not sorrow, not pain, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what Thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share Thy joy!”  ~ Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Real faith is required to endure this necessary but painful developmental process.”--Elder Maxwell

If we want to become as He is, we must have these experiences to grow. Each sorrow and adversity we experience gives us a foundation of empathy and knowledge in which to share with others who are suffering similar hardships. Lord, I'm not asking for more, but thank you for all you have taught me through these experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment