Friday, November 4, 2011

The Path

Why is the straight and narrow path, the choice to follow God's laws so difficult for us? To me it seems easier to follow His path than my own. His is clearly marked, and he has given us all the directions to follow.

God's path is always straight and clear to follow. In D&C 3:2 it says, "For God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his course is one eternal round."

His is laid out straight before us, while the one we try to carve out on our own is laden with danger. Big rocks, potholes, and obstacles of all kinds seem to always be on the path I take when I get distracted and don't pay attention to the one my feet should follow.

Since breaking my leg twice while hiking, I have learned that's it's dangerous for me if I don't carefully watch where I step. I've learned the hard way that getting distracted by the pretty and alluring things that hit me from the side are only neat for a few minutes, and then I end up getting hurt.
Little children see this concept so clearly. My little grandson Ryan is a perfect example, literally, of one who sees the path clearly for what it is, and simply follows it. Each time we have taken him hiking, even when he was barely walking, he would see the path and practically take off running! It was so clear to him. The only things that he let distract him were things ON the path.
In Matthew 18:3 it says, ...I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. This makes it clear that to enter the kingdom of heaven, which is our goal, we must strive to become pure, like we were when we were little children.

When our feet hit the ground each morning we must put them on that straight and narrow path, and like little Ryan, we should take off running and run right past those distractions!

No comments:

Post a Comment